Thunder in the Attic

The torch passes ...

Sunday, July 23, 2006

A slice of wisdom ...

... from Madeleine L'Engle's Walking on Water.

To work on a book is for me very much the same thing as to pray. Both involve discipline. If the artist works only when he feels like it, he's not apt to build up much of a body of work. Inspiration far more often comes during the work than before it, because the largest part of the job of the artist is to listen to the work, and to go where it tells him to go. Ultimately, when you are writing, you stop thinking and write what you hear.


This is an excellent book, by the by. I highly reccomend reading it. But then I think I've said that already ...

4 Comments:

Blogger Tolkienite said...

I will have to read that book. Funny that you should mention L'Engle...I just finished reading two of her books: 'A Wrinkle In Time' and 'A Wind in The Door'. They were both pretty good. But 'A Wind in The Door' was better. I think that that was the first time I have liked a sequel better than the first book. But it was much better, I think....I really liked it.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

We have Wrinkle ... I should read it.

(Hehe ... the verification word right now is 'moymot'. For some reason that tickles me. :) )

9:16 AM  
Blogger Tolkienite said...

I was wondering if I was the only one doing the weird verification word thing. ;)

The word I got recently was almost 'friend'. It said 'fvied'. Or something like that...

Yes, read Wrinkle; but be aware, it is very bizarre. Very.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

The word verification thing is so computers don't post spam about stock and such on our site. It was insane the amount of that garbage I was getting on Rose Petals ...

I believe it's weird. :) I can just sort of tell, from her writing.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home