Thunder in the Attic

The torch passes ...

Friday, January 20, 2006

What to Expect From Me

I haven’t completely decided what I want to post here, but you can probably expect observations about the real world and lots of world-building. Where some writers write for the sake of characters, story or an idea, I write for the sake of the world. I look to the world around me and I see a marvelously complex system. I steal what bits I like; I take things and rearrange them. My thoughts are filled with ‘what-ifs’ and ‘how else’s’. I say I concentrate on the world, but I do not neglect character, story or idea, for they are all part of the world. A world is much more complex than mere setting. It is the entire background of a story, encompassing the history that precedes it, the societies, cities and people that populate it and the things that can happen. Everything has a history and everything has a relation to something else.

My worlds, once built expand past the boundaries of any one story. There is always something left to explore or something left unsaid in the background. It is theses details of history and society that like to find their way into blog posts while I am trying to work consistently on one story. If they can’t make it onto paper as part of the story I am working on they might as well find their way to a blog.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

*grin* He even has his own langauge.

Lyn, can I find in this post the fact/idea that, the more often you write, the more often you post? ;) How is RD coming lately, anyway?

1:27 PM  
Blogger Merlin said...

'Tis true, I have started working on it again. If I write I post, and if I post I write. If that makes sense. I found my head and screwed it back on.

I re-worked a few things in the RD plotline and it has started to flow again.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

Heehee. I've been TRYING to get you to screw your head back on for some time, you realize. You are very good at deliberately annoying everything from subtle hints to blatant commands, until you decide they're what you want to do after all. :P

3:37 PM  
Blogger Merlin said...

*bows*

Thank you Rose. It is something I have known for some time and have become quite proud of.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Keesa said...

:grins happily at Eid: Guess what? I saw a picture of you today! :is happy:

That sounds lovely, Eid! Your worldbuilding always fascinates me.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Merlin said...

*blinks*

You saw a picture of me today? Where?

4:52 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

Hehe. Like my newest post? :P

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home